-
March 11th, 2003, 07:09 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
A buddy of mine is finally going to try some horn speakers. After like 10 years of coaxing. So instead of getting his feet wet with some Altec gear, he went whole hog and bought the new TAD 2002 drivers with the Berrylium diaphragms. $2050 worth.
I've never heard these. He doesn't have a horn yet, but I'll loan him the pair of Edgar Soupbowl Tractrix horns that I haven't used since switching to Duplex speakers. I guess I could also loan him a pair of well damped 511 horns that I modified to accept 3 bolt JBL drivers assuming the TAD has the same bolt pattern.
Have any of you folks heard the TAD's? They sure have some impressive specs.
Comments welcome!
Ron
-
March 11th, 2003, 07:13 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Ron, I have heard the TADs, they do sound good, however, I do not think they sound any better than a 902A. Be nice to get the two along side each other and listen. JIM
-
March 11th, 2003, 07:23 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
We can compare the 902-8A with the TAD's as I just happen to have a pair of them. The best small format model as far as I'm concerned. I also have a pair of 802-8G's to try.
Now wouldn't he be upset if.........
-
March 12th, 2003, 12:42 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Ronss:
Do let us know your findings. Out of curiosity what type of phase plug does the Tad 2002 have?? I believe the Tad 2001 had a phase plug very similar to the altecs circumferential type... making me think the TAD's "better cleaner" HF response was due to the lighter and stiffer Beryllium diaphragms. I am still waiting for someone to come up with Altec Beryllium diaphragms.....Hint Iconic.... Jim and Steve (I know Todd is "allergic" to them)
-
March 12th, 2003, 06:54 PM
#5
Inactive Member
The TAD driver does indeed have the older anular style phase plug. Their difference is in the diaphragm material. I have always thought the TADs sound a bit "brittle'. I too do not like the idea of the Beryllium diaphragm. I'm sure once it is manufactured it is stable, however that is not the problem. I have repaired probably over 200 drivers in my tenure as a sound man. About 10% of the time we find the problem of the diaphragms is not power or frequency related but water problems. One time we got in a set of 807s on 811 horns that had been pointing forward on the top of an open truck load of musicians gear that came from Texas to here in NW Washington. The drivers were completely full of water. I have seen other drivers so stuck and in some cases rusted, we have had to remove the diaphragms with dental picks and chisels. Moisture starts a reaction between the plating of the steel driver parts and the diaphragm material. What is you get is either a wet or dry "salt". In the case of Beryllium, this salt is extremely posionous. There are other materials available do not have this problem that it appears will work just as well. That, however is in the future. Jim
-
March 12th, 2003, 10:16 PM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
Here is what Pioneer says about the TAD 2002 phase plug:
"Among the significant improvements designed by the TAD Engineers are the redesigned Aluminum 3 slit phasing plug. As with the TD-4003, we have made subtle improvements to the shape and material which has contributed to the improved frequency response of 450Hz to 27,000Hz. Our use of Alnico5 has achieved an increased magnetic flux density of up to 19,500 gauss."
So whatever 3 slit means........perhaps it is radial?
It will take some time for my friend to assemble the speaker system. I don't know what he plans on for the woofer. Personally I'd like to see him use a 416, but he just isn't in to anything Altec. They have something picked out. And of course he will need to design a crossover.
But when he is up and running, I'll see about substituting the 902-8A and 802-8G drivers and see how they compare.
Ron
-
November 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I was curious on the outcome of the comparison between the TAD 2002 and the 902A.
Did you ever get to do this?
-
November 25th, 2003, 11:11 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Charles,
Actually, my buddy was never interested in hearing the Altec drivers.
And come to think of it, he still has my horns....time to reel them in!
ron
-
November 27th, 2003, 05:09 AM
#9
Inactive Member
If I laid out 2g's for a set of horn drivers I probably would not want to face the truth that I could have gotten something as good or better for under $500! Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
-
November 28th, 2003, 12:32 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Hi Ron,
That's too bad that you didn't get to compare them - it would have been interesting. Oh well!
Cheers!
Charles
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks